Permitted Paid Engagements Visa

Permitted Paid Engagements VisaIf you want to come to the UK for a short time to receive treatment for a medical condition, you can apply as a visitor for private medical treatment. You will not be able to receive treatment from the National Health Service.

To come to the UK as a visitor for private medical treatment, you must be able to provide satisfactory evidence of:

  • Your medical condition and the consultation or treatment that you need;
  • The estimated costs of the consultation or treatment; and
  • The likely duration of your visit.


You must be able to show that:

  • The proposed course of treatment is of finite duration;
  • You have made satisfactory arrangements for the necessary consultation or treatment, at your own expense;
  • You intend to leave the UK at the end of your treatment;
  • You have enough money to have enough money to pay for the consultation or treatment;
  • You also have enough money to support and accommodate yourself without working or help from public funds, or you and any dependants will be supported and accommodated by relatives or friends;
  • You have satisfied the Medical Inspector that there is no danger to public health, if you are suffering from a communicable disease;
  • You can meet the cost of the return or onward journey; and
  • You are not in transit to a country outside the 'Common Travel Area' (Ireland, the UK, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands).


You must also be able to show that, during your visit, you do not intend to:

  • Take paid or unpaid employment, produce goods or provide services, including the selling of goods or services directly to members of the public;
  • Do a course of study;
  • Marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership; or
  • Carry out the activities of a business visitor, a sports visitor or an entertainer visitor.


You will be allowed to come to the UK for a maximum of 6 months.


If you apply for a visa, you should provide these documents with your visa application. If you travel to the UK without a visa, you should bring them with you so that you can show them to our officers at the border.

You should provide as many relevant documents as you can to show that you qualify for entry to the UK. If you do not provide them, we may refuse your application.

You must decide which documents will best support your application. We advise you to consider providing documents that contain:

  • Information about you
  • Information about your finances and employment
  • Your accommodation and travel details
  • Information about your visit to the UK 

 0203 137 6465

 [email protected]

Want to Ask ?